Friday, November 17, 2006

Barbados Darts Festival 2006 – Tuesday 31st October

Pictured : My Doubles partner, Ellouise

We had a power cut in the morning. This is very bad news in Barbados, as the Air Con and fans stop working. Some particularly dozy holiday makers were jamming up the cash machines by stuffing their cards in the lifeless ATMs.


John and I had a lads' day out in Bridgetown. He needed a watch repair, and I was desperately seeking Rizla cigarette papers. I couldn't find any anywhere, so I had to buy some “joint” papers from a Rasta shop, and from this point onwards my totally innocent tobacco roll-ups were getting some very strange looks from the locals.

We now move on to my favorite darting evening of the trip. The Touring Party played at the A&T Hide-A-Way & Bar with the Bajans in the Guinness Doubles tournament. We paid our BD$20 entry fees, and the doubles partners were drawn by Len from a hat. I was paired with the lovely Ellouise, and we had a howl. I was hitting 85's, 60's, tons, with only the odd bad shot. I also hit a lovely 98 finish (20, 54, 24) and we were both on fire. We beat Colin and his Bajan partner in the 1st Round, but sadly we were narrowly beaten 2-1 by Bajan Steven Skinner and his partner in the 2nd Round. Nonetheless, I have never enjoyed my darts so much, and this evening was all about the hospitality and friendship of playing the Bajans on their own patch in a non-touristy darts club.

I'd learnt my lesson from the previous night, and avoided food until the games were over. It worked a treat.

No comments: