Saturday, January 09, 2010

Lakeside 2010

Dave Chisnall

I'm a fan of the BDO competitions, but even I will admit this week's Lakeside games have shown both ends of the scale when it comes to the standard of play.

However, The Player of the Tournament so far must be Dave Chisnall, who has treated us to a spectacular comeback against Ted Hankey in the Quarter Final, and as I write he has just progressed to the Final with a breathtaking display against O'Shea. There was one string of consecutive shots which were a 164 finish for Chisnall, immediately followed by them both trading 180's.


From my experience the BDO standards are mainly criticised by non players, Pro's, and County standard players. Most of the happy enthusiast players like myself enjoy the way you honestly don't know what will happen next at the Lakeside. Sure, I'm fascinated to watch Phil Taylor carefully plant his darts from right to left from the bottom corner of the T20 bed but I never feel emotion watching PDC games - it's a different experience altogether.

Chisnall may well gravitate to the PDC in the future, but you can be sure there'll be another young talent to take his place at The Lakeside, which screens on free-to-air terrestrial TV in the UK - unlike the subscription required for PDC games. What's there not to like?

No comments: